Organize Your Way to a Healthy Lifestyle
Fall is the perfect time of year to clean out your refrigerator and pantry. It’s also the first necessary step to living a healthier lifestyle. Let’s get started!
- Empty the contents from the pantry entirely onto a nearby table or counter.
- Wipe down the shelves to clean.
- Keep a garbage pail close by.
- Check dates on all products to be sure they are not expired. If you are unsure if a product is healthy or unhealthy, read the nutrition label. Keep products only that have less saturated fat, lower sodium, low sugar, and higher daily value of vitamins.
- Put dry goods ( flour, cereal, pasta/rice) in airtight plastic containers to maintain freshness. This also allows you to see clearly when it’s time to restock.
- Organize shelves into categories: Baking/Cereal/Oils/Pasta & rice/Canned Goods/ Snacks.
- Fully empty the contents of the refrigerator onto the counter.
- Keep garbage pail close by to throw out spoiled or expired food.
- Wipe down the refrigerator clean.
- Replace with whole foods, fruits, vegetables, low fat or nondairy milk, low sugar yogurt, lean meats and poultry and vegetarian fed eggs.
- Replace fruit juice with sparkling water that can be flavored with fresh fruits & veggies (strawberries/blueberries/cucumbers)
After finishing both, take a look & make your grocery list to restock with healthy items.
So keep healthy foods close at hand to promote a healthier lifestyle…eliminate the temptation for unhealthy foods by keeping them out of reach.
I hope this checklist will help you get started on your journey to living a healthier lifestyle!